Friday, October 29, 2010

Defending Harry Potter - a question of faith

There's an interesting blog I like to check out once or twice a week, Stuff Christian Culture Likes, written by a woman in the US, Stephanie Drury. She has a laser-like ability to identify cultural issues within 21st Christian communities which really aren't based on the key messages of Jesus - and she does so with a wicked sense of satire and irony. I don't always agree with what she writes but it's honest and refreshing.

I agree with the sentiments of her latest post on the issue of Harry Potter. My children and I love reading the Harry Potter novels and the arguments that it promotes witchcraft and the occult are anti-intellectual, anti-education, and anti-faith - it's like a scene from a Monty Python movie, only and sadly actually believed by many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment